- Get Involved
A coalition from the City of Cleveland, Bike Cleveland, three Cleveland west side neighborhood community development corporations – Ohio City, Inc, Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization and Cudell Improvement – and Neighborhood Progress, Inc. will be traveling to Columbus on Thursday, December 15 for a 10:00 a.m.Ohio Department of Transportation (1980 W. Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223) meeting regarding the West Shoreway Project.
The meeting will help determine whether the city receives funding for Phase II of the West Shoreway Project, which would include: turning the Shoreway into a boulevard, landscaping and some safety improvements to the road with the goal of reducing the road speed to 35 miles per hour and connecting residents to the lakefront.
Although Phase II of the project does not include any bike improvements, Bike Cleveland has decided to support the City in this effort because they have indicated that safety improvements are a prerequisite to the bike infrastructure that has been promised in PhaseIII.
In addition, the City has promised Bike Cleveland the following things:
- That they will discuss providing an alternative bikeway between Lakewood and Downtown to make conditions better for cyclists until the West Shoreway project is complete,
- That they will include representatives of Bike Cleveland in the further planning process for this project (in addition to community representatives),
- That there will be an update to the City’s Bikeway Master Plan,
- That they are committed to working with Bike Cleveland to close the West Shoreway for a day this coming summer for a “Walk and Roll”/Ciclovia-type of event, and
- That they will begin immediately pursuing other federal funding options for bike and pedestrian improvements.
Those who attend this day-long trip/ event should know beforehand that no public comments will be accepted at the ODOT meeting. The event, however, will provide advocates with opportunities to interact with top city and state officials and could provide an important grassroots lobbying opportunity for this new organization.
Buses will be leaving from the Gordon Square Arts District parking lot at W. 61st Street and DetroitAvenue at 7:00 am sharp in the morning (gather at 6:30 am) of Thursday, December 15th, returning by 5:00 p.m. or earlier on the same day. Lunch will be provided. Cyclists should contact Bike Cleveland at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can join us on the bus and neighborhood residents should contact their community development corporation to sign up. If you prefer to drive separately, please let us know that you will be joining in a caravan.
If you want to bike to Columbus, Alex Nosse, co-owner of Joy Machines Bike Shop, will lead a group that will leave Cleveland on December 13th and return on December 17th. Please contact Alex at email@example.com if you are interested.
We hope to see you there. Thank you! Bike Cleveland