- Get Involved
The energy and enthusiasm created by over 125 people participating in the Bike Cleveland Summit was intense. Thanks to everyone who help to create a strong, inclusive strategy for Bike Cleveland. Below is the mission, vision, guiding principles, and goals that came out of day one at the Summit. The board of directors will be adopting the strategy at there next board meeting. Check back often for updates.
Bike Cleveland builds livable communities by promoting all forms of cycling and advocating for the rights and equality of the cycling community.
Greater Cleveland neighborhoods are designed and built to foster biking, walking and public transit. More people are riding and able to do it safely. For transportation, recreation and sport, bicycling and walking are viable and safe options and ideal tools for active, healthy lifestyles. The region feels the pulse of the cycling culture. Bike Cleveland events attract thousands; bicyclists and pedestrians are accepted as equals on our streets and in our parks; comprehensive complete streets policies and practices ensure that our community grows inclusively and sustainably – all sources of pride for everyone. Public and private sectors proactively support cyclists and pedestrians as a positive force for the community. All people—across diverse cultures, income levels, genders, and backgrounds–feel that they have a role in Bike Cleveland.
- We believe in the power of the grassroots cycling community and our ability to effect change through open communication, consistent collaboration, building trust, and engaged public participation.
- We pursue creative transportation solutions that increase biking, walking and the use of public transit to improve the health, vibrancy and quality of life for all Greater Cleveland residents.
- We believe that Greater Cleveland is a fun place to visit and that cycling is an important and critical tourism strategy to bring more people to our city.
- We are committed to improving access to a complete and efficient transportation system for all residents of Greater Cleveland, with particular attention to those communities and areas that have been historically underserved.
- We are passionate about increasing the number of people biking and walking safely, confidently and knowledgably.
- We are committed to engaging all cyclists in our work and we partner with diverse groups for effective change.
- We believe in creating a strong organizational board and staff to reflect the wants and needs of Cleveland’s diverse community.
- We are fiscally, ethically, professionally, and environmentally responsible with our resources and in our work.
- Mode shift: By 2019, the year that concludes the City of Cleveland’s 10-year campaign to “empower a green city on a blue lake,” the number of people commuting by bicycle will be 3%.
- National Recognition: By 2013, Cleveland will be a League of American Bicyclists-certified Bronze Bicycle Friendly Community.
- Advocacy: Advocate for cycling safety and accessibility in the realms of planning, legislation, legal protections and comprehensive, supportive infrastructure.
- Membership: Engage and represent a large and diverse cycling constituency through organizing and building a membership of 1,500 by 2014.
- Programming: Implement creative, inclusive programming and events that are fun, empowering, educational, and instill pride in the community.
- Partnering: Form positive collaborations with community stakeholders, the health and wellness community, advocacy organizations, businesses, media, schools, and government to advance the Bike Cleveland vision.
- Funding: Secure diverse and sustainable funding to support and grow Bike Cleveland’s work.